23.1.09

SpongeBob square pants from yesteryear


Back in 2005 I worked on a Spongebob Squarepants game for Nickelodeon. It was a cheap project, dodgy script, all I have left are rough playblasts. I should be ashamed. I'm not. This is awesome :-D. We were animating at 30 seconds per week with no storyboards, just a maya scene full of characters and a giant audio track. To be completely honest though, this was one of the most inspiring times in my career thus far. I think the thing that made this a really great experience, was when we had our weeklies and all the animators got together to show their work and give feedback and critiques. The anticipation of having our work screened and critiqued really gave me an awesome inspiration to perform. Click the picture above to view!

And here's some Viva Pinata2 animation I worked on. W a really fun project to animate for. Often with game animations, you get really quite restricted by the game design, but a big element of VP's design is that it's fun to watch all your Pinata's going about their business in your garden. This gave us quite a lot of freedom and almost every animation was like a little performance piece. Here you can see a variety of animations like falling asleep, becoming sick, taunting, grooming, fear, cheering, flirting, disappointment and also idle animations when the little guys are standing around bored. These were done about 2 years ago when I first started at Rare.

Click the pic:



-Dan

No comments: