12.1.10

Skull in hand?

Wahoo I says. Wahooooo! Acting! The animators dream! Woot! I feel like I've been getting back to basics and body mechanics for the last year and now I'm getting back to acting (which is what I was doing when I first started AM, but hopefully a better animator now!). Here's my progress on my first acting assignment, which is a silent piece where we need to simply show a character going from one emotional state to another.

video

I went for a really simple idea for this one as I wanted to focus more on getting a great performance instead of getting carried away with a grand story (as I always do :-/ ). Even still, I get impulsive urges to make this scenario more complicated but I have to repress it, Grrrrr. It's loads of fun animating my own character and it's something I haven't done in a loonngg time! I've fallen behind with the rigging though and I'm still rigging as I'm animating (see how the facial expressions are symmetrical? That's because I haven't split up the left and right blend targets yet :-P). Wouldn't have rigged it without the help of Advanced Skeleton and Zoo CST though! Wow, I can't believe I started modelling this character about 3.5 years ago, just had him on the backburner and pulled him out now and again to touch him up. Great to see him finally coming to life!

video
Here's my vid reference exploring a few ideas and some sketches exploring some poses!


And here's a Sea creature, wid ids wittle baby-waby! Oohhhh Cooooot! Last weeks AM sketchbook theme was "Baby sea creature".

In other news: a tree fell in the forest but nobody heard it.
-Dan

6 comments:

smearframe said...

Hey Daniel
I really like the blocking but to me to didn't read as a happy surprise in the end. I thought he read something that scared him. I think you could push the expression at the end. I think the same thing happened in the beginning. It didnt seem like he is trying to avoid opening the envelope. It seems like he is just disinterested. I like the way he opens the folded paper/letter. Goodluck1

KineticDan said...

Heya SmearFrame!

Cheers for the comments! You're absolutely right, I'll work on those points in my next pass :-D.

-Dan

C. said...

Hi dan!
Great piece, as always : )

I kind of agree with Smearframe, at the end of your blk your charcter looks more scared than happy - I'm just writing it because in your reference footage it was clearly a suprise-happy reaction...
Personal tastes: I prefer the solution you acted out in your first and second ciak, I mean: the old guy slap away his paper... it looks a bit more appealing to me than the "happy explosion" one you did choose. But again, it's only personal preference, your work is sweet.

Carlo

Peer Lemmers said...

hey man, great to see the old geaser come alive! haha i remember you working on him at Rare even :-)

awesome man, i really like your blocking, very clear.. i almost want him to get bad news though... must be the rain in L.A.

also maybe add a bit more attention to the envelope in the beggining.. like holds it resting on its edge on the table.. a little tap.. then slide it down like he doesnt want to read it... like you have and go from there...

KineticDan said...

Carlo: Cheers for yer comment dude, I've updated and the end is pretty clear now! Yeah, I feel pretty conflicted by the ending too. Think I'm going to keep what I've got though, I'm too worried the other versions are kinda boring :-/.

Peer: Yep! Same guy from back at Rare! Been wanting to get him animated for AGES! Will try experimenting with the opening/fidgety hands thing!

Peace out :-)
-Dan

Peer Lemmers said...

yeah man, just drop a message in the comment box on draw a holics saying youd like to join.

hows things going?