11.1.12

Life drawing level up!

Howdy people of the interwebs!  Ah my first post of the year, I've got a good feeling about 2012, big things will happen.  Not in an apocalyptic way either - good stuff, bound to happen.  Just wait and see ;-).

Well, better late than never, here's my last 7 "Art Workouts" for 2011 ;-)

Art workout 2011, Week 46 of 52

Art workout 2011, Week 47 of 52

Art workout 2011, Week 48 of 52

I did a two day life drawing workshop at the Maleny Arts Retreat which was fantastic.  Here you can see a bit of my progress - particularly in relation to lighting with charcoal.  The first one I've really emphasized getting a thicker, stronger outline on the contours that should be in shadow, also trying to keep a good amount of contrast around a specific focal point (the head).  The second pic I was really working on getting a nice tonal range overall and concentrating on matching shadow tones through the drawing.  The third one I've focused on getting my flat tone strokes to roll around the "tubes" of her body to get more of a sense of 3D volume.

Art workout 2011, Week 49 of 52

Here's my first ever watercolour painting!  Lot's of experimenting and feeling my way around here, but enjoyed the medium none the less.  There's some parts of this painting I like, but overall you can see my tentative approach hasn't quite worked.  I can tell a key aspect of learning water colours is to generate a lot of free flowing confidence and be open to the accidental randomness that occurs.  Defo will be playing with a lot more watercolour in the future!

 
Art workout 2011, Week 50 of 52

Popped out the old SLR for bit of a play after spotting this guy jumping around my herb garden pots.  I think maybe the pots are a great refuge for these little guys as the little frogs tend to get eaten by the great big toads we have around here :-(.

Art workout 2011, Week 51 of 52


Art workout 2011, Week 52 of 52

And last off here's some doodles I threw together at the WoodFord Folk festival at the end of last year.  Random inspirations from the many interesting characters wandering around.  Drawn with a Biro and I added a little bit of tone in Photoshop.  I usually stay away from most photoshop filters, but I have to say I quite like the "Splatter" filter - I find myself using it often to break up that CG look of many brushes, looks quite nice like colour leaping through the texture of paper.  Right on!

Adieu!
-Dan

2 comments:

avneriginal said...

Great stuff big fella!

Keep pushing, it's inspiring to see all your artwork.

Kinetic Dan said...

Hey thanks buddy! Cheers for stopping by :-D